WWW.INDIANPILOTSFORUM.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.INDIANPILOTSFORUM.COM

Trainee/Aviation Enthusiasts Please go to http://indianpilots.great-forum.com

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Expired FAA license

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Kite

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-08-05

Expired FAA license Empty
PostSubject: Expired FAA license   Expired FAA license Icon_minitimeSun Aug 19, 2007 6:32 am

Greetings.
Wonder if it's the right section for this question...but here goes anyway.

Have a friend who got his FAA PPL in the late 90's...and untill about 3 years ago was still flying on his PPL while working in the US. He's got in excess of the hours required for the CPL, but was never really interested in going the FAA CPL way...
He's currently working with an MNC in India...and together we cleared all the DGCA CPL papers...he was lucky to have appeared and cleared majority of his papers before the 50hrs rule came in...
Now, if he wants to apply for the Indian CPL, does he need to renew his FAA PPL...?...or does he need to get an FAA CPL and then work towards a conversion...? He has cleared all 5 papers, so the conversion papers don't really come into the pic...He would need to make sure he meets the flying recency requirements, which he is aware of. But will the hours he's flown on his PPL in the US not be recognised at all..? unless he gets his PPL renewed...??
The Babus at DGCA gave garbled answers to his queries and each one has his own unique solution Mad barring the odd person saying a simple "not Possible" and hanging up..!

Anyone been there or know of anyone else in similar situations...\?

thanks in advance
Back to top Go down
haree

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Expired FAA license   Expired FAA license Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 1:05 am

Easiest would be him filling the recency hours and giving the check rides for CPL and applying directly for the indian CPL !
Of course he might need an Indian SPL for the same
Back to top Go down
http://www.indianaviators.com
Kite

PostSubject: Re: Expired FAA license   Expired FAA license Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 6:01 am

Hey thanks haree.
He does have an Indian SPL and the recency flying is quite possible, however, the CFI's at a couple of schools here would not recognise his hours done on an expired FAA PPL towards the Indian CPL.The check rides therefore are out of question until he first gets his hours 'validated' by the DGCA....The DGCA guys, atleast one of them, said he would need to renew his FAA PPL for them to consider the flying hours he's completed.
Another guy said, renewing his PPL would get him an Indian PPL only...and for the CPL, he'd need to get an FAA CPL...!!Exclamation
Now I wonder if anyone or both of em are trying to make a quick buck out of him or the CFI's themselves are acting up...

I remember reading somewhere in depths of the erstwhile IP.com regards a case where the person had an expired FAA license(FAA CPL I think)...and went on to get the Indian CPL.....just can't recollect how the person went about it...neither do we sadly have access to IP.com anymore......do you remember any of it haree...?
Back to top Go down
sarfarosh

sarfarosh

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Expired FAA license   Expired FAA license Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 10:08 pm

Ok,hours don't give you license,it's skill! You need to proove some skills for CPL,if you cann't then hours are useless....
Back to top Go down
haree

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Expired FAA license   Expired FAA license Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 4:28 am

sarfarosh the person in question is a seasoned pilot and someone who has flown for more hours than a CPL on his PPL in USA would be 10 time better than an average indian Airline pilot.

As for FAA PPL to PPL ... Thats only if he is converting.. since he has his papers done.. all he needs to do is get the hours validated and recency done and submit his papers after the check ride
Back to top Go down
http://www.indianaviators.com
sarfarosh

sarfarosh

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2007-06-10

PostSubject: Re: Expired FAA license   Expired FAA license Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 11:49 pm

"As for FAA PPL to PPL"
Agreed for that one!
Ok what you meant by check ride? Check ride for PPL OR CPL? The header's friend trying to get PPL or CPL in india? DGCA CPL or Converting to DGCA?
And as i know anywhere in the world to apply for CPL you have to pass flight test and To take flight test, CFI has to recommend you for the f.test and To recommend, he has to go through all the flight lessons required for the licence with the applicant.
Now if someone hasn't done those lessons with CFI who the hell will recommend him for F/Test,forget about CPL!!!!

OK once again if he applying for PPL then disregard me...

"some one who has flown for more hours than a cpl on his ppl in usa would be 10 time better than an average indian airline pilot."

That was totally unneccesary here.
I know atleast 12-15 people who have more then 5000 hrs on their ppl,those don't make them better then an average indian airline pilot!!!!

I would say better to get FAA CPL and convert it to DGCA,then you going to need just check rides,not whole flight test.
Back to top Go down
Kite

PostSubject: Re: Expired FAA license   Expired FAA license Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 11:15 pm

Thanks for your comments haree and sarfarosh.
Well, when my friend had a read of what you had to say Sarfarosh, he asked me about the possibility of you being a DGCA official 'behind-the-scenes'....you sound very much like one..You can congratulate yourself on that mate Wink

The person would be glad to do a flight test if allowed to do so by the CFI's. Thing is, he isn't making the same kind of money he used to, to fly privately, or on a PPL. But flying is what he loves to do...so getting a CPL here in India is the only option left for him ...and I guess he'd be ok to fly anything that's got wings...
The draconian DGCA though has different ideas, who knows just what their intentions are...

Haree thanks for your suggestions. He tried to get his hours validated by the DGCA, but everytime they ask "Why?" and when he says... but obvious for a license, they say where's the foreign license...Rolling Eyes
So yeah, seems like a combination of a real problem of not having his license valid, and ,some govt guys trying to make money doing the job they're paid to do....paid by you and me:x

Any further suggestions would be a welcome
Back to top Go down
Liberator

Liberator

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2007-06-12

PostSubject: FAA Lic   Expired FAA license Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 6:38 pm

Hi,

From what I read you say your friend has the flight time requisite for a CPL and more. I would like to help out if theres a way. Before that maybe a little more information would help like:
How recent is his flight time. When was the last time he flew and how much. Does he have his instrument ticket from FAA and any multi time?
Going with what I know so far I think the easiest way to get his indian Lic would be to get the FAA Cpl with just a few exams and proficiency checks, Recent flight time and then the Instrument ( If he doesnt have it ) followed by a Single eng and Multi Eng Comm Checkride. Then offer that to the DGCA to convert since he already has the papers cleared he wont have to give the composite.

Fly Safe
Back to top Go down
Kite

PostSubject: Re: Expired FAA license   Expired FAA license Icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2007 10:45 pm

Thanks for your comments Liberator.
Well,After getting several opinions from different sources, he's of the same opinion....it might be best to get a FAA/TC (transpost canada) CPL.
No Instrument rating, but he does have quite a bit of Dual instrument time, did it for his night rating and in case he gets in the white stuff!Smile
No Multi Time.
Im not too sure when he flew last, but I think It's been a while...will check with him.He's been going through recency and other requirements for the FAA/TC CPL

The problem is the possibility of taking leave from his job here looks grim, especially considering it's going to take some time to get his CPL in US/CA going by which, he might just have to give up his job entirely...I don't think he's a gambler Wink not with a family Neutral

It would be much simpler and quicker for him to renew his PPL, get the recency requirements (day/night) for issue of a CPL here, and get back. He doesn't mind waiting it out for the IR. The Indian CPL will atleast get him flying...maybe charter...albeit VFR on SE (there are a few C208's and PC12's wanting). However, it would be taking a chance if the DGCA does not recognise his renewed PPL and his overall flying experience, for issue of an indian CPL.
Decisions Decisions !!Rolling Eyes

thanks again liberator...
Any suggestions/comments a welcome
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Expired FAA license   Expired FAA license Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Expired FAA license
Page 1 of 1